Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Soap Opera Hall of Fame


One of the projects I was proudest of accomplishing with SoapsWEB was the establishment of the Soap Opera Hall of Fame. When I was on staff at Daytime Royalty I attempted to do one there - working to get folks involved in the process but it didn't really work out. I eventually lost interest and dropped the project. The Soap Opera Hall of Fame is a project near and dear to my heart. Why in the world there is not one has really bothered me for a long time. Back in the 1970s, Daytime TV magazine instituted one but it only lasted 2 or 3 years inducting folks like Mary Stuart and Judith Light. Later Soap Opera Weekly instituted another inducting Eileen Fulton, Susan Lucci and a few others. Both projects failed sadly. So I wanted Soaps WEB to definitely do one - the biggest thing for me was been getting the time to do it right and deciding the best way to go about it. I decided at the first of April 2009 that I would launch it that month, and I sat down and decided that there were 5 individuals that had to be there and then I made a list of others that should be there. I started to go with those 5 being the initial inductees, but ultimately decided that the Hall of Fame is something that should have been done years ago and instead of trying to catch up I put the people who I feel should have already been in the Hall of Fame in there the first year. In the coming days and weeks I will reveal the inductees for 2009.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. And I agree, this is long past due. It's really sad that it's left up to the fans to do cool stuff like this anymore.

    ReplyDelete