Friday, August 7, 2009

Willey"s joke becomes 20-years of stand-up

Source: MundeleinReview

Willey's joke becomes 20-years of stand-up

August 6, 2009

For Walt Willey -- and his comedy fans -- being dumped on network television had a long-lasting upside.

Willey, an Ottawa, Illinois native has played attorney Jackson Montgomery since 1987 on the popular ABC soap opera, "All My Children." However in 1989, his character was dumped by the fickle Erica Kane, played by Susan Lucci. So when Regis Philbin asked Willey what he was going to do, he made a joke. "I'm going back to stand-up comedy to I heal my broken heart," he said. "I had never done stand-up before, but I thought this show was a great place to fly a flag and see if anyone saluted."

The joke became a reality and Willey started receiving job offers to perform stand-up comedy. He got it right, and is currently celebrating his 20th anniversary in stand-up.

"When I started off I didn't know what I was doing. I had a lot of guts and not much sense. Since then I like to think it has evolved."

Comedy from life

Willey, who will be performing August 13 at Zanies in Chicago and August 15 at Zanies in St. Charles, said his stand-up is firmly rooted in his own life.

"I don't do set-up and knock-down. I don't tell jokes, I tell stories and they are pretty much based on truth. It is that outlook that allowed me to get through some very good things and some very bad things with a smile on my face," he said.

Willey said it's easy finding comic situations to mine for material. "They just seem to just approach me, tackle me and bite me right around the ankles."

Fans will have the opportunity for a special one hour meet-and-greet at 6 p.m. with Willey prior to the 8 p.m. show that offers photo opportunities, special merchandizing and priority seating with profits going to his selected charities.

Willey's fans should not be surprised by his often frank, adult material. "I am a spicy guy. I am not going to pretend to be someone I am not when I get up there. Interestingly enough, I have had people say, 'Oh my God, not what I was expecting' followed immediately by 'but I laughed so hard,'" he said.

For the past 15 years, Willey has entertained Zanies audiences in February for Valentine's Day and in August so he can be here for the Chicago Air and Water Show.

Willey's new material will be animal-related. "There is always something going on at my farm in New Mexico. We have a new dog and a new cat and it's kind of tough to tell which one is which, so I will be talking a bit about that."

Wordy bird

And his parrot continues to be a source of entertainment. "I've been gone a lot and she doesn't like that at all," he explained. "She had been calling people that have been caring for her names. Where she heard these names, I have no idea. 'Hey, dummy!' is not a phrase I use."

Other topics for new material will be Willey's recent extended hometown visit where he starred as Felix in a well received production of "The Odd Couple" staged in the Ottawa High School auditorium. Oscar was played by Kim "Howard" Johnson, a friend since childhood who is the author of several books on Monty Python. "Everybody did not remember their lines, but we had a good time anyway," Willey said.

Willey is also writing a one-man show about growing up in Ottawa called "A Life In The Day," which will presented next year as part of his Willeyworld Community Productions.

Taking time off from "All My Children" for the first time in 23 years, Willey said the show's executives were super supportive. It was explained that his character, Jack, is off an extended trip to an unidentified country.

So what is the current status between Erica and Jack, who are presently divorced on the show?

"Right now, I understand Erica is fooling around with Ryan, which is another reason I am glad that Jack is out of town so he doesn't have to see that. I think our status is that we have some unfinished business which hopefully we will get to finish at some point."

Ever the eternal optimist, Willey believes strongly that there is still more to the story of one of the longest lasting couples in soap history.

"The writers have never really given us a fair chance at happiness. I think there a lot of people out there who would like nothing better than to see Jack and Erica back together and giving it a real shot. To see them be able to ignore their kids for a while and just love each other," said Willey. "And I have to say I am part of that bunch of people."


No comments:

Post a Comment